Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pacific Raceways, July 22: More Cowbell

Well...more like bike bell. This was my first race back on the bike since my little incident back at Derby Days, good old Pacific Raceways. Still waiting on my shifters to arrive, I'm riding the rain/commuter bike complete with my mountain bike shoes (still waiting on replacement straps from the crash) and of course a commuter bell which is actually mounted as a headset spacer. I felt like a total Fred, give me a helmet mirror and I'm set!

The course was flat and we talked Rory into doing a point a lap so we could all suffer. We did have a great turnout in the Men's field of myself, Vu, Greg, Darol, Dave H. and John. Dan came out for moral support still nursing a broken shoulder. I noticed Jill and Alyson in the women's race (I think we had a few more, sorry!) More on Alyson later...

Thinks started out pretty quick and the Cycle U team was out in force quickly setting the pace. It's gonna be a fast night! I took a lead out for John a few laps in and it HURT. I quickly realized that I was going to pay for not ridding much over the last 10 days. We worked pretty well together with Greg doing some incredible lead outs. I did what I could but had to sit in for a few laps after each one to recover.

About half way in a few guys attacked after we crossed the line an the pack slowed. I jumped to cover the break and we had a decent gap with one small group ahead and a chase group. I did my pull and noticed another Starbucks jersey behind me ready to lead..but wait...who has a pony tail? Oh, it's Alyson! She proceeded to lay down some serious watts, closing the gap and pulling a few guys behind her. The look on their faces was priceless!

Unfortunately we lost momentum and got absorbed by the pack. A few more laps in we were neutralized by the cat 1/2. As the last guy passed I rang the bell and gave the "GAME ON" shout. Once everyone stopped laughing we got serious and setup the last few laps.

The last lap was really moving (as expected) We setup well and Greg gave John and Dave an incredible lead out for the 1/2 last lap win. Dave ended up 2nd overall and our teamwork was excellent the entire night.

Needless to say...I'm exhausted.

No comments: