Wednesday, August 6, 2008

WA State Time Trial - Tenino

This was a day of a lot of first, first time going to Tenino, first time racing my new Abici TT bike and the first time I've done a 40K TT.

Steve, Pete, Vern and I made our way down south. I figured I needed to keep my heart rate steady and near threshold but back it off about 5 beats given the distance. I started out a little faster than I wanted but felt good. It was nice and windy all the way out and then the fun starts will the rollers.

I was amazed at the full range of emotion I went through..."man, I feel GREAT!...uh oh...I'm going to hard...I feel like crap....is this over yet?....ah ha, now I'm getting a second wind!....where the hell is the 1K sign already!?!?!?"

The bike is fast, but I need to make some serious adjustments to my position. The "L" bend bars have got to go and the stem is a little to long. I might have to break down for a new saddle too. Being on the nose of a racing saddle for 18 minutes is OK, 1 hour feels like torture.

I ended up 14th with a time of 1:03:24.29. Getting in the top ten required breaking 1hr (next year). Full results here. HR averaged 171 with avg speed of 21.9. meh.


This is one event where I think you either have it or you don't. You have cat 4/5's going faster than the pro's and masters D racers absolutely setting the course on fire.

Aside from all the pain and suffering, it was a beautiful day for bike racing. We finished off the race with beer and burgers at Scotty B's. Our server was fantastic, I think Steve is going to need therapy...it was a little traumatic for him. :)

No comments: