Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pacific Raceways 8/26/08 - It's a wrap

My last road race of the season! I got there really early and was riding through the gravel area right before the track. As I hit the pavement I was using my right hand to "rub" the gravel out of my tires. In the process of doing my back tire I managed to suck my thumb in between the wheel and my frame, almost jerking me off the bike. That hurt like a mother f@#$er! Nothing like injuring yourself before the race even starts.

We had a HUGE turnout tonight from the Starbucks men' squad. Steve, Vu, Darol, Scott, Charles, Bart, John,Dave and myself...who am I forgetting? Jill also came out for the women's race.

It was point per lap with flat course and I expected a fast race given every one's fitness by now. Dave and John and 1st and 2nd in the bag so our goal was to honestly just have fun. We messed around with some lead outs for the sprint and tried a few small breaks that were not getting away. On one of the sprints I looked over at Brian from Cucina as all the sprinters were blowing by. "No sprints for me tonight" he smiled. I felt pretty much the same way. Long leadouts were OK but my legs didn't have the snap needed to really pin it.

On the last lap we had enough guys that we were literally attacking from the left and the right of the group. It was awesome! Dave ended up 3rd in the final sprint (because he can!).

Rory and Deanna gave out some awesome swag as everyone sat around and BS'd about how fast we must have been going. This series is a real gem and I'm already looking forward to next season.

It's time to start getting dirty.

No comments: